Listed on these pages are the pests commonly found in the tropical climate of Singapore.
>> Mosquito - Rodents - Flies - Cockroaches - Ants - Fleas - Bed bugs - Bees & Hornets - Snakes - Termites
- Three main groups of termites: Subterranean Termites, Drywood Termites & Dampwood Termites.
- Subterranean termites are the most destructive of the three groups.
- Termites are social insects live in a highly coordinated colony with caste system.
- Swarmers (alates) will leave the nest usually in the evening after the rain. After a short flight, the male and female termites pair off and look for suitable nesting site.
- Initially, the queen will lay a small batch of eggs. The king and queen will take care of the eggs until they mature. The first batch of eggs will hatch as worker termites. The other groups of termites will develop at a later stage.
- Once the worker termites mature, the queen and king will no longer take care of the eggs and young termites. Their primary function will then be reproduction. The worker termites will look after the eggs and young termites.
- Soldier protects the nest against enemies such as ants.
- The queen could lay up to 20,000 eggs per day in the colony. The queen can survive up to 20 years in the colony while the workers and soldiers generally can live for 2 years.
Signs of infestation
- Mud tubes running up the wall of your premises, swarmers in and around the house, especially near sources of light after rain.
- Shed wings from swarmers.
- Palletised droppings are noted on exit holes (drywood termites).
- Warped or uneven surface of wooden board or panel.
- Wood that sounds hollow when tapped.
- Clicking sounds from wooden structure.
Why Control Them?
- Loss of structural strength endanger lives.
- Damage to property.
- Unsightly mud tube marks.
What we do:
- Perform a thorough inspection of the premises to locate termite activity/trails/nests.
- Carry out baiting & treatment at all possible infestation.
- Advise client on preventive measures, areas of improvement or maintanence for better termite prevention.